Registration is now closed!
Wednesday, September 27, 2023
MRPA’s 2SLGBTQIA+ Summit is a one day event designed for parks and recreation administrators, Human Resource staff and recreation programmers who seek to understand the unique considerations and barriers to both employment and program participation in the 2SLGBTQIA+ population. Attendees will follow two separate tracks after the morning keynote speaker. Programming staff will learn how to provide respectful, culturally competent programs by developing skills to establish rapport, recognize barriers, offer solutions and educate the general public. Directors, Deputies and HR staff will focus on internal and external policies and how to have an inclusive department.
- LGBTQ Cultural Competency (0.2 CEU's)
Specific tracks are available for Executive Levels and Programming Staff with the following sessions scheduled.
- Can We Talk About Representation? How To Make Planning More Inclusive (0.1 CEU's)
- Policy Making Roundtable Worksession (n/a)
- Promoting Diversity and Inclusion in Parks and Recreation through Policy and Programming (0.1 CEU's)
- Embracing Nature, Building Community: Parks and Mental Health for 2SLGBTQIA+ Individuals (0.1 CEU's)
- Creating Safe and Welcoming Spaces for the 2SLGBTQIA+ Community (0.1 CEU's)
- Safety & Inclusivity (0.1 CEU's)
- Refunds are not available for this event.
- Continental breakfast and box lunch provided (select lunch option at the time of registration)
- $115 MRPA members / $165 Non-members
- 8:00 am: Registration
- 8:15 am: Welcome and Overview
- 8:30 am: Life Stories
- 9:15 am: Opening Keynote - SMYAL
- 11:30am: Session 1
- 12:30pm: Lunch/Vendor Visits
- 2:00 pm: Session 2
- 3:30 pm: Session 3
- Connor Hegel, SMYAL
- Mike Leon, LAYC
- Chelsea Nunez, City of Takoma Park and facilitator for Transplaining for Camps
- Lauren Pruitt, Freestate Justice
- Tony Felts, M-NCPPC, Prince George’s Planning
- Adam Dodgshon, M-NCPPC, Prince George’s Planning
- Jonathan Caudill, M-NCPPC, Prince George’s County Parks & Recreation
- Paul Quade, PFLAG Southern Maryland
- Kaitlin Fraer, PFLAG Southern Maryland
Interested in being a vendor?
Being a vendor allows you to directly speak with recreation and parks professionals from all over the state of Maryland.
The vendor fee is $350. Vendors will receive the following:
- 1 table and 2 chairs
- Logo/Business Description/Business Webpage will be added to event page
Interested in being a sponsor?
Being a sponsor give you the opportunity to support the Maryland Recreation and Parks Association, as well as the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. You can check out the sponsorship opportunities, by clicking here.